Women Environmentalists Impacting Their Community
Written By: Jacqueline Omdara, Research By: Sophie Campbell
In honour of International Women’s day, we want to highlight some outstanding women environmentalists who have done and are continuing to do great things for their community as well as being an inspiration to those globally. It is so encouraging to see women from around the world and from different generations come together to help our planet.
Minneapolis, United States of America/Age:19
Environmental activism: she co-founded the US Youth Climate Strike to push the US government to take immediate and meaningful action to combat the effects of climate change as well as to regulate the causes of climate change.
- 2020 Fortune’s 40 Under 40
- Cofounder & Co-executive Director of US Youth Climate Strike
- Daughter of US Congresswomen Ilhan Omar
Reducing plastic waste: created a women’s group who crocheted plastic bags, upcycling them into purses. Within a year, this small group of women became 50 women part of NRIGG (N’jau Recycling and Income Generation Group), reducing waste while allowing women to provide for their families. She then built a skill centre top teach women about the environment & waste, gardening, and nutrition, among other topics. The group has expanded from crocheting to making coal alternative, paper beads, and jewellery from tires.
- Founded Women’s Initiative Gambia (WIG), formerly N’Jau Recycling and Income Generation Group (NRIGG)
- Won 2012 Making a World of Difference Award from the International Alliance for Women
United States of America/Age:86
Ocean conservation: she has witnessed the destruction of our life-supporting oceans over the course of her life and advocates against burning of fossil fuels which cause acidification of the ocean, chemical pollution of the environment, plastic pollution, unsustainable fishing. She founded Mission Blue to create a global coalition for awareness and support of a worldwide network of marine protected areas.
- Has spent more than 7000 hours underwater
- Explorer-in-Residence at National Geographic
- Founder of Mission Blue which aims to protect 30% of the ocean by 2030